Our committee, formerly known as the Australians for the Return of the Parthenon Sculptures, has become an incorporated association and we are now known as the AUSTRALIAN PARTHENON ASSOCIATION.
By George Vardas. Greek City Times. October 2021 On 29 September 2021 the UNESCO Intergovernmental Committee for Promoting the Return of Cultural Property to its Countries of Origin (ICPRCP) issued a decision acknowledging the “legitimate and rightful demand” of...
The Australian Parthenon Association (formerly The Australians for the Return of the Parthenon Sculptures) is a committee of Australian-based Hellenes and Philhellenes, chaired by David Hill, former Chairman of the ABC, that was formed in 2002 to lobby and campaign for the reunification of the looted Parthenon Sculptures currently on display in the British Museum.
The committee includes retired museum directors, historians, lawyers, academics and other professionals who are passionate about the cause and who seek to redress what is arguably the world’s oldest cultural heritage injustice.
LOSING YOUR MARBLES
The latest episode in the Podcast “Stuff the British Stole”
They’ve seen wars, the bottom of the ocean and even – bizarrely – been part of a boxing match.
The story of how the Parthenon Marbles actually ended up in London’s British Museum is a wild tale featuring bribes, court cases and some extremely dodgy deals.
There’s been a centuries-long campaign to get them back to their homeland. Now, a team of Greek-Australians have decided that the time for diplomacy is over and a new tactic is required.
Season Two is co-produced with CBC Podcasts.
Presenter: Marc Fennell
Producer: Zoe Ferguson
Executive Producer: Amruta Slee
- Elly Symons, Vice President of The Australian Parthenon Committee
- George Vardas, Vice President of The Australians for the Return of the Parthenon Sculptures
- Geoffrey Robertson QC, human rights barrister and author Who Owns History? Elgin’s Loot and the Case for Returning Plundered Treasure
- Lydia Koniordou, Greece’s former Culture Minister (2016-2018)
- David Hill, chairman of the Australians for the Return of the Parthenon Sculptures committee, and former president of the International Association for the Restitution of the Parthenon Marbles